Monday, October 27, 2014

Close Enough 31◦51'.433 N 088◦04'.429 W

We started our day very early, @ 05:30am. We got the engines running by 06:20 and were at our next lock by 07:00am. The river was like glass all day long and we made really good time, arriving at our anchorage at Bashi Creek @ 3:00pm. After the engine checks were done, we retired to the lido deck, where Jim got to lounge a bit for his birthday. As you can tell by the picture, he was enjoying some music as well. Later our friends Sherrie and Randy joined us, along with Jim and Sharon from the boat "Blue Angel"
Our tradition has been that I cook Jim his favorite meal on his Birthday. This is sweet and sour chicken.  Although I have been making it every birthday for the last 29 years, apparently I still don't make it as well as his mom! I once told Jim that maybe mom forgot to write down an ingredient when she gave me the recipe...his answer is Yes, you don't have the "Mommy Love".
It was quite a shore to make this meal today. For starters the oven that we have is a propane oven with no temperature dial. What I have discovered is that I must cook with "Close enough" in my language. The oven set at about 325◦F would heat up to 350◦F; I opened the door and it would cool to 300◦F and, the cake needed to bake at 325◦F so.... close enough. Also while underway, the boat vibrates. This does funky things to bubbles as they form in the cooking batter. The cake did rise ....close enough.
Measuring ingredients on the boat is a bit tricky since the fuel tanks and the water tanks are all full at the moment, the back end of the boat is about 3" lower than usual. Dry ingredients are ok, but the wet ingredients are splashing around the measuring cup somewhere between the lines. When I have an equal amount  above and below the lines then it is ...close enough.
Jim's favorite icing is cooked icing, that requires a double boiler (which I do not have) so two large pots was ....close enough. Since we cook with propane, I leave a window open for venting. While cooking the icing; which requires constant whipping; the flame went out. I had to stop mixing while I held the knob down with one hand and the lighter in the other hand and the icing...well.. was not close enough so I had to make another batch!
Despite all the guess work and the not so good cooking appliances, there were no leftovers, so I am assuming that it all came out...close enough. Our guests however; have never had Mom's Sweet and sour chicken, so they don't know any better.
We ended our evening with the last bottle of champagne we had from the re-naming ceremony and a beautiful sunset. Sorry that it's blurry, but the night option on my camera needs very a stable base because of the longer exposure time and on a boat well....this is close enough. Night all.

P.S. Jim says thanks to all for the e-mails and well wishes. He had a great day and his wish did come through despite the trick candles on the cake.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful evening sunset. Kinda' reminds one of the awe in our world.

    Mimi, I'm so impressed with a birthday cake made and iced on a traveling boat!
    How soon until you publish mom's sweet & sour chicken recipe for us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn Stephanie and I had the pleasure of joining Grandma and Grandpa Mitche'll for dinner a few weeks ago and Grandma made us the sweet and sour chicaen. It was absolutely delicious. I think I know grandma's trick but I'm not going to share that with you haha hahaha ( I say this with love of corse)

    ReplyDelete