Tuesday, May 26, 2015

May 25, 2015 There's some beautiful scenery on the Rideau. 044◦33'.756N 076◦17'.482

We're on one of the most historical and beautiful canals in the entire world. We set out on the Rideau at the 10am opening. This is considered their off season and the locks only open from 10am to 4pm. It makes it difficult to get some mileage done, but the scenery is so beautiful, we don't mind being here longer than anticipated. Oh and our friends the May flies have disappeared, so double bonus. 






It is awfully cool to see these locks being operated by hand, the same way they have been for over 100 years, but when we saw them actually using man power to swing the swing bridge, I must admit I was rather shocked. I sure hope they keep all those wheels well lubricated.










I took this shot from the top of the third lock in a flight of 4. It's kind of freaky to see how high we have gone.

I cannot tell you how many little baby geese we saw today, all so cute and cuddly, but I could not for the life of me get a picture of any of them. 











We have seen some really tight corners though, but my captain always gets us where we need to go.







We have also seen some wide open spaces, but the lake is so shallow, that the buoys look like a runway











The area we are in is really secluded, so not much sightseeing tonight. So secluded that we actually had no cell service at all, which is why I am posting this blog one day late.  Tomorrow we hope to make it to Smith Falls so we can go do some sightseeing.

Good night all 

No comments:

Post a Comment