Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Officially Florida 30◦24'.315N 80◦49'.138W

So we are officially in Florida, however it is very Northern Florida and it is cold as Canada...well maybe not quite that cold, but it is cold here. Currently it is about 10◦C outside. We are anchored in the ICW at Navarre Cove. The ICW stands for the Intercoastal Waterway. This is a waterway between the Gulf of Mexico and the continental US. We are following this coast line as we round the Gulf in order to shorten our trip across the big Gulf.
So last night I promised you pictures of Pirate's Cove however two things conspired against us to prevent us from taking the pictures. The first is that our camera is broken. Not sure what the issue is, but my trusty Cannon has bit the dust and my lens will no longer come out and play. Once we get to southern Florida I will take it into a shop to see if it can be repaired. The second issue is that as we were passing by Pirate's Cove, I happened to drive the boat onto a sandbar while Jim was weighing the anchor.
He was standing on the bow washing the mud off the anchor before lifting it onto the boat, I was driving through the very narrow channel out of Robert's Bayou when the boat suddenly stopped dead. Fortunately I was going really slow so I did not knock Jim off the bow. No damage to the boat and putting the engines in reverse got us off the sandbar in a hurry. Shortly thereafter Jim advised me to drive straight across the bay, but the channel curved to the left rather quickly. Fortunately we found the right path before I drove the boat aground again. Twice in one day would have been amusing though!
Anyway, no pics for tonight, due to rain, broken camera and sandbars. You will just have to use your imagination. Tomorrow, hopefully I will figure out how to use the camcorder for picture taking and I will stay off the sandbars.
We received an e-mail from a friend advising that there is likely a weather window to cross the Gulf on Friday, so we will push hard for the next two days to try to make it to Carrabelle' where we planned on staging our crossing from.

Night all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment