Thursday, January 22, 2015

Bread crumbs and Flying fish. 26◦30'.841 N 78◦38'.546 W

We are now in Lucaya Bahamas having left some friends behind  in North Bimini. The weather called for light winds and low waves, however it was not as calm as predicted. We hit what Jim Sr. would call heavy chop. Our trip today took us across another section of the Atlantic Ocean in wide open water for 60 miles or so and it was a bit rough. I actually got a little bit nauseated but it quickly past.
Atlantic ocean off Bimini Island 
So bread crumbs is a term I used yesterday and apparently not everyone is familiar with this terminology.  GPS units are capable of recording a track that you can refer to again later. The recording of such tracks is called "leaving bread crumbs". When Jim Sr. took his boat out the channel the other day, he recorded his route both in and out. When we left in the dark, Jim was able to lead us through a channel we could not see; by following his recorded tracks on the GPS. We simply followed his rear light and got safely through.
Marina in Bimini
Now onto Flying fish. Yesterday when we arrived in Bimini, I told my fellow boaters that I saw some curious birds. They came popping out of the water, as though we were about to run over them, they flew very close to the water, maybe a foot off the surface, only to dive back in the water in front of us. Jim was teasing me, saying I had lost my mind because he never saw them all day. My more experienced friends (read Sherrie) said, "Oh yeah those are flying fish" Honest to god these fish have wings that flap and they fly! I am not losing my mind! Today I set out to get a picture of them. Armed with my camera pointed firmly at the water, I posted myself on the bow and waited; and waited and waited. Alas to no end since not a single one came flying out. My Camera has an automatic shut off after 10 min of non use. It beeps it's warning of automatic shut down on several occasions until I finally gave up. Of course as soon as I put my camera away one come flying out. I know you are all thinking this is locknest monster stuff, but I swear they do exist. Just ask Darwin!
After a brief rest period, I tried again and succeeded. It is hard to tell by the photo but there are 3 of them. They flap their wings fast like a hummingbird so you can barely tell their wings are there. Well Jim finally saw them today so now he believes me. 

Flying Fish 



2 comments:

  1. Were the fish flying before or after docktails...?

    They are nifty aren't they? Some years ago, my father fell asleep while floating on his back and when the water started churning thought he was surrounded by sharks. But turned out it was those frisky flying fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you as I have been hit by one. I like the term bread crumbs but we use snail trail

    ReplyDelete