Friday, September 12, 2014

Happy Birthday Cathy Begin 43◦46'.529N 086◦25'.980W

Well it's Jim's sister, Cathy's Birthday today. It's a landmark one, but I'm not sure she want us to post her age here, so I won't. We are really sad that we could not be with you to celebrate this day with you and we hope you have a wonderful day. Jim and I finally left Manistee Marina this morning at 6:50am. The forecast called for North East winds and since we were going South West we expected and easy sail. HA HA HA! you think we would know better by now. When we got into the open lake we were being hit by some major waves.....again! two more donations to god Neptune. Nothing is every set in stone in this boating world, so our plan to go across the lake quickly changed into a plan to go south. Once that decision was made and the new course plotted is was smooth sailing. Waves pushing us forward, we topped out at 9mph imagine!  I included a picture of our skies this am. Hard to tell where the clouds stop and the lake begins. After an hour or so I noticed a rainbow inside the clouds and that's where we were heading, a good omen...ya think? (see pic) I called ahead to a few marinas for fuel prices and one place called Snug Harbor said they would match the price we were getting across the lake so I quickly agreed to going there and spending the night. Moments and I mean moments later, the Port engine alarm goes off and the engine overheats. WHAT THE F_ _ _ _  ! Jim shuts the engine off and goes down to check it out. I call the marina back and say hey we probably won't make it. The next harbor was Luddington so we aimed for there to check things out. It was an hour away. Jim was fairly confident it was an impeller for the raw water pump, but when he finally got everything apart, it was something broken in the water pump itself. He took everything apart and hopped in the dinghy to go over to a repair shop nearby. I stayed with the boat to make sure we did not drift. When he came back he said the guy there could not repair the problem and given that this is Friday, we are likely stuck here until Monday or Tuesday while we wait for a part to come in. He brought the water pump into the helm to show me what was wrong and I thought, hey I've seen one of those before. Don't we have a spare under the bed. YES we did and within an hour or so Jim had us up and going again. Whew! So I call Snug Harbour again and now here we are. Pentwater is the name of the actual town. Snug harbor is a Marina within this town.  This is a really well kept town, very clean marina and lots of cute little shops in town. The only problem is that most of these little stores are closed! The ones that are open all sell fudge, so I could not go in for fear of never coming back out again. We took a walk through town, but like a fool I forgot my camera. We also filled up with Diesel of course since it was so cheap at $3.55/gal. So we are full up again. I have included a few pictures of some of the buildings as we come in. The condo's here are real nice Mom, maybe you ought to consider one of these?

Tomorrow they are calling for North winds so we set a course for Saugatuck  which is also on the East Coast of the lake. Looks like we will not get to see the West Coast on this trip. Ah well, maybe next time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment